Tuesday, March 27, 2018

MAMA CHIMES IN: The Infant on the Cross

by Ellen RM Toner

Back in 2010, I started teaching British Lit to 10th graders. Lots of good plays, novels and poems, but far and away the thing I was most nervous about and way over-prepared for was Hamlet. I mean, it’s Hamlet. For the rest of their lives, or at least for a good long stretch, everything these kids knew or thought about this play would grow out of how I showed it to them. I was their introduction to it, and I sure as hell better not screw it up.

Sonya is a snuggle-bug. She’ll be totally passed out cold, and as long as you stay in the same room, preferably right next to her, she’s good. She doesn’t really sleep at night unless one of us is holding her. As she’s not even 5 weeks old, we figure she’s entitled to such behavior. But what that means for us is lots of walking and rocking and singing in the wee hours. Circling through the downstairs rooms the other night, I was singing her one old folk song after another, and wondering if The Twa Sister Ballad, like so many other songs I love, was maybe a little dark and depressing for a newborn. And then it hit me. Oh my gosh. I get to teach her ALL THE SONGS. When she grows up and goes off on her own, hopefully she’ll spend some time with music-y people somewhere along the way, and she’ll be able to say, “Oh yeah, my mom used to sing me that song,” and it will have sunk into her subconscious and helped to form the way she sees the world, the way she comes to know beauty, silliness, joy, love, and yes, sorrow. For the great gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad / For all their wars are merry and all their songs are sad. There are few things out there, I’d argue, so very cathartic as a good sad song. Except of course a good tragedy (thanks, Shakespeare!).




Last Sunday we heard the reading of the Passion at Palm Sunday Mass, and it hit me again, as Sonya uncomprehendingly heard the words for the first time, that one day they will be as familiar to her as they are now to me. The rituals of Holy Week, the somber liturgies and aching meditations on the greatest tragedy (and comedy!) the world will ever know, will all be a part of the fabric of her life. And I wanted to wrap her up and run out of the church, because it’s one thing to talk about the vicarious catharsis of songs and poems, but the suffering of Christ on the cross is one that she will have to learn to share in, to accept, to embrace, to own, or she won’t be whole. And I have to be the one to show her that. Hamlet is so… trivial.

I’ll be honest. Even though I have 4 younger siblings and 20 nieces and nephews, I always kind of thought babies had it made. Eat, sleep, and the giants all around you cater to you, clothe you, change you, carry you… but wowza. Sonya has to work so hard. Everything she does is brand-new, and most of her daily required activities turn her entire person bright red in her straining efforts (yes, you know what I’m talking about). She had to have a little surgery on her mouth when she was only 5 days old, and now that her incisions have healed, we’re finally beginning to teach her to nurse, with lots of training wheels, because her poor mouth isn’t as strong as it should be. And I wish that there were some magic trick to make this and everything else all easy for her, because she gets so frustrated and angry and sad and doesn’t know why or what any of it means. But this is her first step to learning the Cross, to becoming whole, and all I can do is try to help show her the way forward. That’s life, kiddo. But, as I discovered after 7:23 on February 22nd, more truly and overwhelmingly than ever before, Good Friday is always followed by the victory of Easter Sunday. It’ll all be okay, sweet girl.



No comments:

Post a Comment